We offer private and group Pilates classes taught by professional, friendly and qualified staff in a bright and airy Greenwich studio. Read below for more information concerning what Pilates is, the benefits, and the types of classes we offer.
What is Pilates:
Pilates is a body-conditioning method developed in the last century by Joseph Pilates. It builds strength from the inside out, working deep muscle groups through smooth and controlled movements (it was originally called “contrology” as in the ability to control movement).
Benefits of Pilates:
Pilates increases core stability, flexibility and joint range of movement, and it improves balance and posture, offering relief from aches and pains. Pilates is also a great support during or after treating an injury and because it re-educates the body and corrects wrong habits, it’s an ideal form of exercise for injury prevention.
Who can do it:
Pilates is for everyone. The greatness of the method is that it can be adapted to suit personal needs, from rehabilitation to toning to getting generally fitter. Athletes and dancers do Pilates as a support for their cardiovascular specific training; older people do it to keep their body functional and efficient; pregnant women do it during and after pregnancy, to maintain strength and quickly regain their figure. Pilates is also a great way for everyone to generally de-stress, revitalize, and re-energize the body.
Our classes are divided in different levels, so whether you are a beginner or have done lots of Pilates before, we’ll make sure to find the right class for you!
We have a flexible booking system and accept drop-ins, as long as the space is booked in advance. Find out more about bookings HERE. There is free parking outside the studio for up to two hours.
- Matwork group classes: Pilates exercises performed on mats in our basement studio, often with small equipment such as bands, swiss balls, overballs, etc. There will be a maximum of 8 people in a class, so everyone can get individual corrections by the teacher.
- Reformer group classes: Pilates exercises on the most well-known of the large equipment, the Reformer offers resistance work and you will learn the routines in small and comfortable groups of 4.
- Studio sessions: for those of you recovering from an injury, you will work independently on your own programmes, along with a maximum of 3 other clients, with the help and supervision of a teacher. Studio sessions are also good for those of you who want to try other pieces of equipment, such as the Tower or the Wunda Chair. Antenatal studio sessions: you must be at least 16 weeks pregnant and have written consent to exercise from your doctor. You will be joining a regular studio session and work on your own programme, also using the big Pilates machines. A maximum of 4 people in a session will ensure that you receive great attention.
- Private sessions and Duets: for a specific programme tailored to your needs and to get our full attention, sessions can work around your schedule. We have available slots also on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
- Back Health matwork classes: these classes are suitable for people with generic, unspecified chronic back pain, but also those with specific pathologies such as sciatica, disc problems, SIJ pain and arthritis. The classes will also cater for people who are recovering from an injury and for beginners to Pilates who want a strong foundation, from which to eventually move on to Level 1 classes.
- Clinical Pilates: for those recovering from an injury or operation, according to the type, level and stage of the injury, the appropriate Pilates exercises will be used to facilitate rehabilitation.